Cashing In: ‘Get Spruced’ sweepstakes awards $1,000 prizes
September 19, 2022 • Spruce
Winners see financial boost amidst rising inflation
Who wouldn’t want an unexpected payday? Spruce1, a mobile banking app built by H&R Block, is helping thousands of customers get better with money by providing access to mobile banking tools and financial services.
During the summer of 2022, four lucky Spruce customers received an unexpected payday – $1,000 deposited into their Spruce spending account. The winners were selected at random through the ‘Get Spruced’ sweepstakes, a social media contest designed to engage Spruce customers and create excitement around the financial technology platform and its features.
- Michelle D. – Florida
- Sarah A. – Kansas
- Brooke T. – Virginia
- Sarah R. – Kansas
Each lucky Spruce user has big plans for their prize funds, from helping with homeownership costs to boosting savings.
“My husband and I are looking to grow our family and get a larger house in the near future. This extra money will help grow our nest egg for the future of our family,” said Sarah R.
“I plan to use the money from the sweepstakes to get caught up on a few bills. I’m very grateful [for] Spruce,” said Brooke.
The driving force behind H&R Block’s Get Spruced Sweepstakes is the hope that the prize funds will help jump-start a person’s journey towards improved financial health. New research from the Financial Health Network finds the percentage of people considered Financially Healthy decreased from 34% in 2021 to 31% in 2022. Conversely, the percentage of people considered Financially Coping increased in the past year2.
“We’ve heard time after time that people are struggling with saving, and elevated inflation has made that even harder for families,” said Les Whiting, Chief Financial Services Officer for H&R Block. “An extra boost of $1,000 can help families create a savings cushion, which could have a snowball effect encouraging continued savings and improved financial health over time.”
Nearly 70% of people are financially vulnerable or coping, and more likely to struggle in key areas that impact financial health, like credit score, saving, and debt3. Spruce offers mobile banking with no monthly fees4, cash back rewards5, personalized saving goals, and early access to paychecks6 and federal tax refunds. New and improved features including Credit Score Monitoring and Round Up7 were recently added, providing consumers even more ways to master their money.
Click here to learn more and sign up.
- Spruce is a financial technology platform built by H&R Block, which is not a bank. SpruceSM Spending and Savings Accounts are established at, and the Spruce debit card is issued by, Pathward, N.A., Member FDIC, pursuant to license by Mastercard®. Mastercard and the circles design are registered trademarks of Mastercard International Incorporated.
- Financial Health Pulse® 2022 U.S. Trends Report, Financial Health Network.
- Data point pulled from H&R Block Mobile Banking Study in 2021. Online quantitative survey using Qualtrics surveys. Research fielded in September 2021.
- Other fees apply for certain uses of your Spruce debit card and accounts. See www.SpruceMoney.com/fees for details.
- Spruce Rewards are powered by Dosh. Cash back offers and amounts may vary by user, merchant location and offer period. Check the Spruce app for offer availability. Cash back earned by qualifying purchases will be deposited in your Spruce Savings Account. See Spruce Rewards powered by Dosh Terms for details.
- Early access to funds depends on the timing of the payer’s submission of the payment. These funds are generally made available to you the day the payment instruction is received, which may be up to 2 days earlier than the payer’s scheduled payment date. To be eligible, you must receive $200 in direct deposits over the relevant 35-day period, not including tax refunds.
- See a full list of Spruce features and disclaimers.